Contact Me

Email me at btrflykises313@hotmail.com

Friday, April 24, 2009

So much for a home birth =(

When I was pregnant with J (and didn't know it) we had blood work done and it came back saying I had a clotting disorder called Protein S deficiency. So when we found out that I was pregnant the docs put me on low dose aspirin every day and when I went on a trip I had to have injections of Heparin in my belly so I didn't clot at the high altitude. So no problems, J came out fine, everything was great. We'll since I was pregnant and didn't know it, the perinatologist suggested (when I was pregnant with S) that I didn't have Protein S, my levels were just slightly elevated because thats what pregnancy can do. So she recommened that I go back at least 6 months after having S to have more blood work done to rule out Protein S.

I finally had the blood work done in March 09 and it came back saying that I didn't have Protein S but I did have a clotting disorder (thrombophilia) called Lupis anticuagulant which is the disorder linked with still births. I also have a different disorder with a real long name which means I need to be on more folic acid and eat green leafy veggies (which is totally not a big deal!) We'll not only does the clotting disorder put me at risk for still birth, I could have problems with the placenta, miscarriage, stroke, die, etc. So as a precaution, they're putting me on low dose asprin every day, a shot of heparin twice a day in my belly, and I'm back on the "high risk" list and will be watched carefully to make sure the baby and I are ok.

So, I don't want to complain or anything but this sucks. My goal this pregnancy was to have a homebirth and to have it be as natural as possible but that won't happen now. The doctors highly discourage homebirths but especially with my condition it could potentially be a huge problem. A midwife won't take me now either. I don't HAVE to go on the heparin but I'm not willing to risk it and have a still birth or anything else happen. So, they'll be watching me pretty close now. Which I guess is kinda nice since I will probably get to have more ultrasounds. They'll also be watching the bleed in my placenta (just like I had with S) so hopefully that goes away and doesn't cause any problems.

I am happy that they found this though. I consider it a blessing since most people dont have this bloodwork done because it is so expensive they never order it. Please pray that baby and I have a healthy pregnancy with no bumps in the road. I don't care about any of the meds, the shots, I just want a healthy baby.

So please pray for us.

4 comments:

Candi said...

I'll be praying for you:)

Katie said...

I hope everything goes smoothly for you and baby #3. I'll be praying for you!

Anonymous said...

We'll definitely keep you on our prayer list!!

William said...

Thank you guys!