Contact Me

Email me at btrflykises313@hotmail.com

Friday, April 17, 2009

The ups and downs of potty training

UNO started potty training at 18 months completely on his own. He started recognizing that he had to pee or poop and would tell me so we ran with it. He was doing amazing but about a month later he got a bladder infection which what horrible. He regressed because he didn't want to pee at all because it hurt so bad. So slowly he started going back on the potty and he does great. I feel like we have a lot of ups and downs though. I feel like we're on the potty training roller coaster. Last week he was amazing, no accidents, going on the potty all the time but this week is like he forgot everything and has been having accidents more regularly. I don't know what to do! He's been on this roller coaster for so long now... one or two weeks good, one week bad.

We've done the "pee pee candy", stickers, and now we're onto the prize box if he has a great day. But he's two and it seems like he could care less after a little while. Also, my idea of "potty trained" is completely trained not me having to remind him or take him every 1/2 hour. How long will we be potty training??

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can tell you is that shortly after Caitlyn was born (so Anna was about 2) Anna was showing signs of potty training so we started doing it with her, but after a few days we could tell she just wasn't ready. So a few months later we started again, and she was great.. The best advice I got was to just let them do it in their own time. I've seen a couple of kids who were trained early on, but now, a couple years later, they still have accidents. I know that probably doesn't really help you, but it's the best I got! :)

Candi said...

I don't have any tips, I think all kids are so different. I do know though that they say ( who ever they is) that if they pee at night when they are sleeping they arent ready:)

Anonymous said...

I totally meant to comment that you finally got rid of your bright green background.. Yay! :)

William said...

Thanks. I really do think he is ready but I just dont understand why sometimes he's got it down and others its like he doesnt care at all. Maybe its just a boy thing. He never cared if he was wet or poopy with a diaper on so now if he's too busy playing or whatever it doesnt even phase him.

As far as peeing during the night or at naps, sometimes he does and sometimes he doesn't. He's really good at holding it (most of the time) and has no problem going on the potty so I dont really know what the deal is. Maybe I just need to be more diligent about reminding him.

Thanks! I had to return to default settings or something. Yay, finally!